5 Ways to Use User Generated Content to Boost Your Sales and Conversion Rates
User Generated Content (UGC) has rapidly taken off in the last few years. All kinds of companies, from small independent businesses to large-scale corporations have taken the tactic on board and implemented it into their marketing strategies. This is simply because it has proven to be one of the most successful techniques out there.
UGC is exactly what the title suggests. If you have customers in your business who generate content, whether that’s leaving you a review, posting a picture of your product on social media or even writing their own blog posts about it, this is all defined as UGC.
Today, we’re going to explore several ways you can use this content to boost your ROI, increase your conversion rates, and overall help your business to succeed.
Follow the 1% Rule
The 1% rule is a standard marketing term relating to UGC. It claims that only 1% of your customer base are ‘die-hard’ fans of your brand and will, therefore, be the ones generating content for your business while the other 99% of customers will simply absorb it.
“When you consider it, that top 1% of your users are the most passionate and most involved in your business, so learning your advertising strategies towards them, targeting them if you will, is one of the best ways to boost your ROI,” says Andrew Taylor, a marketing manager for Essayroo.
Offer Rewards to Contributors
At the end of the day, UGC is being generated for your business for free, but that also means that a vast majority of your customers or followers are not going to go out of their way to make your business look good for nothing. After all, that’s your job.
However, running competitions on your website or social media pages is a great way to get people generating a whole wealth of content of your pages, and you’ll still only have to pay for the one prize. For example, you could run an Instagram competition, even a weekly one, where you’ll vote for the best UG-picture that relates to your business, even if the prize is only their name in lights.
Ask for Reviews
“Reviews and customer testimonials are also a form of UGC and the power of this content should not be taken lightly. Social proof is one of the most effective marketing tools, just take a look at Amazon and how their shopping platform works” shares Sarah Morphew, an ROI manager at Academized.
Every time a customer makes a purchase, you should have automated emails set up to ask them to write you a review, perhaps in a way that asks them how their experience was. These reviews can then be spread across your product pages, website and social media pages to attract more customers, naturally boosting your conversion rates.
Make Sure Your Analysis
As with all the content that’s on your website and social media pages, it’s so important that you’re taking the time to analyze and evaluate your UGC to make sure that it’s performing to the level that you expect it too.
If your content, or some of the content, is underperforming, you’re going to need to take steps to see which content is the most effective and how your future content can be produced to meet the highest expectations that you have. In some cases, you may need to edit certain UGC to reduce the bounce rate, or to make sure that it’s grammatically correct.
Fortunately, there is a wealth of online tools and resources, such as State of Writing, Via Writing and My Writing Way that can help you with these proofreading processes. If you need help with editing your content to a professional level, you can invest in the help of editing tools like Paper Fellows and Assignment Help.
Consider the Statistics
Still not sure whether using User Generated Content is the right move for your business, let’s take a look at the facts and statistics. According to Offer Pop, the average online user will spend around 5.4 hours a day (wow!) looking at user-generated content, whether this is on websites, on their social media pages, or even on their own smartphones and computers.
With this in mind, various other studies, such as ones conducted by Tint Up, have found that user-generated content, if properly implemented by a website into their digital channels, can increase the time that a customer or lead spends on their website by as much as 90%, which in turn naturally boosted the average conversion rate by 20%.
Of course, it’s only natural that the more time people are on your website, the more likely they are to convert and make a purchase, which makes it clear why user-generated content should be such an important part of your marketing strategy.